Serpent Mound in rural Adams County, Ohio, is one of the premier Native American earthworks in the hemisphere. Its pristine flowing form was enhanced by major reconstruction in the 1880s. But there seems to be much more than meets the eye here. This is not only the largest but also the oldest mound in the world. It is indeed a work of artistic design that holds one in awe as it winds back and forth with its seven coils and ending in a triple coiled tail — the open mouth that has a 120-foot oval feature that either depicts the sun, or the body of a frog or something else altogether.
In olden days the serpent carvings or statues were connected to the natural cycles of birth and death according to many ancient cultures around the world.
1) Some say that the location is no coincidence once it is on the outside edge of a magnetic meteor crater.
2) It’s shape can only be fully appreciated from… the skies!
3) One of the rarest elements on earth, iridium, can strangely be found in abundance in the grounds of The Serpent Mound. Iridium’s radioactive properties are highly valuable in outer space, leading ancient astronaut theorists to believe The Serpent Mound was actually built as a mining site for aliens.
4) Serpent Mound as Old as Aristotle: Just last year scientists estimates of the age of the earthwork are now radically revised as the result of a new radiocarbon analysis, suggesting that the mound is about 1,400 years older than conventionally thought. The new date of construction is estimated at approximately 321 BCE, one year after the death of Aristotle in Greece.
5) Many are the reports of orange / bright lights over the Mound. UFO’s watching an important sight to them?
6) Ross Hamilton’s book «The Mystery of the Serpent Mound: In Search of the Alphabet of the Gods» also theorizes about the complex mathematical used in it’s construction and who it correlates with Pyramids!
7) Other than iridium, there is no trace of an asteroid or comet; Mike Hansen, a retired state geologist who runs an earthquake warning system and teaches at Ohio State University, said there is no doubt that the Serpent Mound area was disturbed by some unknown force. But Hansen thinks the stresses were triggered by natural shifts in the Earth’s crust.
Around the time the rocks were deformed, Hansen said, Africa was pushing into North America and the Appalachian Mountains range was thrusting up higher than today’s Himalayas. He said a major tectonic event like that could have created the underground chaos at Serpent Mound.
8) We are still not sure who the builders where: Historically, researchers first attributed the mound to the Adena culture (1000 BCE – 1 CE). The Adena culture did build some nearby mounds, so for more than 125 years, many scholars thought they created the Serpent Mound as well. Scholars previously thought that the Fort Ancient culture (1000-1650 CE), an Ohio Valley-based, mound-building society, constructed Serpent Mound about 1070 CE. If this mound was built by the Fort Ancient people, it was uncharacteristic for that group. For example, the mound does not contain artifacts, although, like the Adena people, the Fort Ancient culture typically buried many artifacts in its mounds. In another difference, the Fort Ancient people did not usually bury their dead in the manner of the burials found in proximity to the effigy. Now they believe the earthwork had been built, however, by the early Hopewell culture (200 BCE-500 CE) at least 1,000 years prior to the arrival of the Fort Ancient culture. The Hopewell culture had abandoned the earthworks and disappeared long before the Fort Ancient peoples arose in the area. Still no proof was presented to support this theory.
9) Built as the constellation Draco
The star pattern of the constellation Draco fits with fair precision to the Serpent Mound, with the ancient Pole Star, Thuban (α Draconis), at its geographical center within the first of seven coils from the head. maps from the 1980s show how the margins of the Serpent align with great accuracy to a large portion of Draco. Some researchers date the earthwork to around 5,000 years ago, based on the position of Draco, through the backward motion of precessionary circle of the ecliptic when Thuban was the Pole Star. Alignment of the effigy to the Pole Star at that position also shows how true north may have been found. This was not known until 1987 because lodestone and modern compasses give incorrect readings at the site.
Even more interesting, Draco is well-known as the “home” of the Reptilians… snake-shaped beings.
10) Built by giants?! Beginning in the year 2000, author and investigator Ross Hamilton with a staff of eight researchers commenced the Tradition of Giants Project, uncovering over time many hundreds of accounts suggesting that a race of highly intelligent, physically robust people once lived throughout the eastern woodlands of the United States. His research is included in his academic paper “A Tradition of Giants: The Elite Social Hierarchy of American Prehistory.” Ross recently appeared in the History Channels program Search for the Lost Giants.
The mystery continues…